Saturday, March 11, 2017

II - Feeling Inspired

In relation to my previous post, the result of my laptop crashing was insane slowness. I'm currently working on my desktop but the issues with my laptop will prove to be problematic when bringing it to school and when I start to put the magazine together. Ugh. Hopefully this will all be resolved in time for me to start the designing process.

Now let's talk about the fun part - research.

As previously mentioned, Harper's Bazaar is more than likely to be my inspiration for this project, sort of like my case study. I found on Tune Groover that Bazaar was #15 out of 20 "top selling fashion magazines" but hey, at least it made the list. I learned that Bazaar was created in 1867 and while once a weekly magazine, it became monthly in 1901. It's target audience are sophisticated and upper-class women interested in fashion. In my magazine this portion will be different due to the models I will be using (again, I'm using my 17-year-old friends so debate all you want how sophisticated they may be). Bazaar sold 734,504 magazines just in the first half of 2013.


I found an article on Bazaar's website titled "Rihanna Takes Flight" and WOW! This was a cover story for Bazaar's 150th Anniversary inspired by Amelia Earhart. Here's the cover image:

The photos from the shoot were absolutely gorgeous as well as giving me a little more idea as to what my layout stories could be about. Using a inspirational historical woman figure and recreating that idea was an amazing idea for Bazaar to do. Here are some of the images from the shoot:


I love love love the colors and editing done to these photos. Definitely moving closer and closer to the imagination of an amazing magazine.

I can't wait!!!

Citations: 

Allard, Greg. "The Top 20 Selling Fashion Magazines." TUNE GROOVER. N.p., 03 Oct. 2015. Web. 11 Mar. 2017.

Photographs by Mariano Vivanco; Fashion Editor: Mel Ottenberg. "Rihanna Takes Flight." Harper's BAZAAR. N.p., 02 Mar. 2017. Web. 11 Mar. 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment