Thursday, March 9, 2017

I - The First Step

This is the first step in the journey to the creation of my magazine. :)

I am very excited to get started!!

So first things first - a genre.

I almost instantly decided on doing a women's beauty/fashion magazine. I believe I will be able to put my skills to the true test when doing this genre of magazine, plus I really enjoy the simple yet pleasing visuals many beauty magazines tend to portray.

After browsing Pinterest, I found some interesting covers from Vogue and Bazaar, which made me realize that I LOVE the covers they produce. Everything about majority of their covers is so visually pleasing! Here's what I found:

The color scheme of red white and blue is my favorite part of this cover. Although the magazine is not as simple as I would hope mine to be, definitely an inspiration on how to work with color.
















Honestly, I didn't even know Bazaar existed until I started conducting my research. Shameful. I know. But thankfully I sure do now!! This cover page is beautiful!! The light pink blending softly into the baby blue sea with Jennifer Aniston standing directly in the middle works SO well. A lot more simple than the Vogue magazine, and yet another color scheme...I will definitely taking most of my inspiration from Bazaar.













I mean WOW! Talk about blue! The blues all work very nice together and the exciting expression on Sarah Jessica Parker's face as she's running down a bridge in a big Cinderella looking dress really adds to the unique and enticing aspects of this cover.













The absence of cover lines on both of Bazaar's covers is what gives the magazine it's simplistic look as well as having the reader's attention focus primarily on the image.

I also noticed that the font used for the masthead on both magazines look almost identical to each other. Maybe my masthead will be a variation of that font since my goal is a simple yet unique magazine cover.

I did a little research on Bazaar's audience and learned on Hearst that it's male to female ratio of people who view their magazine is 37/64 with 42% of those people ranging in ages from 18-49, which are the demographics that are more than likely to match my target audience. Maybe with a younger age range considering the fact that my models will most likely be 17-year-old teens wearing clothes that are typically worn by people of the same age group.

This process will be very exciting (as well as stressful and challenging) and I can not wait to see what the final product will be!

P.S.: I already encountered my first issue while writing this post; my computer totally crashed on me and wouldn't work until two hours later. Hopefully this was just a one time thing because it may put some major drawbacks on this project.

Citations:


"Pinterest." Pinterest. N.p., n.d. Web. 07 Mar. 2017.

"Audience & Demographics." Hearst. N.p., n.d. Web. 07 Mar. 2017.


No comments:

Post a Comment